Monday, July 20, 2009

Champions Online Microtransactions


Champions Online will allow you to pay some real-life cash to buy some novelty stuff.

Anyone who is whining or complaining about this can feel free to click the following link:

http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/points/store/c-9-wow-in-game-codes.aspx

At least Cryptic is willing to call a spade a spade and be honest about their microtransactions, instead of hiding them behind another product and marketing nonspeak gobbledygook.

I too am skeptical of microtransactions. Like many others, I look upon them with suspicion that the Big Evil Corporation is using them to "trick" me into giving them more of my money for less product. I feel my suspicions are well-founded. But I don't think the fact that a game will have some form of them is, on it's own, a reason to condemn the game or get all up in arms.

I generally am not a fan of micro-transactions, but if we're going to jump on anyone for them, it should be Blizzard first (cough$25tochangeavalueinaspreadsheetcough). They just didn't use the dreaded word "microtransactions" themselves.

No comments: