Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Blizzard endorsing gear checking and certain loot rules?


I don't have a ton of time to blog today, but I really wanted to point out some of the 3.3 patch notes that came with the latest build. They give details about how random dungeon groups will work using the new tool. The things that really popped out at me:

As part of the matchmaking system, some of the more difficult dungeons will have a minimum gear requirement.

and

The Need Before Greed loot system will be the unalterable default looting system for pick-up groups in the Dungeon System and has been updated.

Need Before Greed will now recognize gear appropriate for a class in three ways: the class must be able to equip the item, pure melee will be unable to roll on spell power items, and classes are limited to their dominant armor type (ex. paladins for plate) [emphasis mine]. All items will still be available via Greed rolls as well as the new Disenchant option should no member be able to use the item.

Well, then. Does this constitute an endorsement by Blizzard of requiring certain gear levels for groups? And is Blizzard saying that the "right" way to loot is to give priority to your primary armor class (ie priest automatically wins cloth over a druid, etc.)? What do you think?

3 comments:

Jong said...

Belated grats on the drake.

Although I am notorious for rolling on leather melee gears (I don't roll on mail dps gears b/c they have +int on them), I like the proposed changes.

Pangoria Fallstar said...

For a long time I wore purple leather pants on my Shaman. It took getting the 25-man tier piece for me to replace it.

So NOT being able to roll on items below if no one below uses it, would really suck. Most times you'd prefer to have something in your armor type anyways, but if a huge upgrade comes along, you'd take it even if you have to sacrifice a couple thousand in armor.

Hatch said...

I am glad that they are still letting you win a non-armor-class piece through greed roll if no one needs it. I'm rocking the leather Heroic Acidmaw Treads myself because there are no plate boot drops in ToC 10.

Thanks Jong!